Unfortunately, SW lost the flanger blade in the cleaning or shipping prep stage, but their customer service is excellent and I know they'll make it right.
These parts are some of the nicest prints I've seen to date after 25 years of professional involvement with 3D printing. I should have thrown a dime into the photo to give a sense of scale, the entire car is 4.8" long, the smoke jack stovepipe is .068" diameter, and the grooves in the tongue & groove car siding, floor, and roofwalk are only .005" square.
Not enough to justify the work of scratchbuilding or kitbashing an underframe with the offset bolster... the intent is to appeal to those who are a bit less comfortable with "rolling their own"... hopefully cultivate some "craftsmen" without their realizing the fact, LOL.
I can't wait to get this one assembled and painted, but I have a couple of other things to do like weathering and glazing the plows before then.
I'll be waiting the finished shots. I'll be picking one of these up at some point this winter.
I have some paint chips off of a CN plow, one side is Morency orange and the other is the red-brown they used when they were first built. I assume that this was just boxcar red, but I can send you a piece of you want to match it.
Modeling CN's Gaspé operations within the Atlantic Region in the late 1970's to early 1980's.
Long live the 251!
The plows were originally painted black then CN #11 red after 1943, and starting in the 60s started to be painted #11 orange and eventually #12 orange. They weren't painted #10 Morency Orange, but sometimes the deeper oranges would fade to something resembling it.
The wooden flangers were always #11 red but before 1943 their underframes would be black.
Of course, all these colours would weather differently depending on the environment and the particular paint manufacturer.
Post by sbhunterca on Nov 28, 2014 16:27:00 GMT -5
The only surface that wanted any sanding was the cupola roof. I gave it a very light sanding with 600 and 800 grit paper- this took all of about thirty seconds.
I gave the rest of the body a quick swipe with 800 grit paper, but that was more for my own satisfaction than any real need. Even the sloped surfaces of the main roof were perfect, with no stepping or other texture.
The quality we're seeing from Shapeways FUD these days is pretty incredible.